1) What have you learned from the research on work centrality and the relative importance of work dimensions to people around the world?
Work centrality: The higher the mark, work is more important and more central in life. (Page 401 6th edition)
Work centrality Score: The higher the score, the more motivated and commited about the work.
(Exhibit 11.1 and 11.2. 6th edition)
Pag 401. 6th edition MOW – MEANING OF WORK.
1. Provides a need income
2. Interesting and satisfying
3. Provides contacts with others
4. Facilitates a way to serve society
5. Keeps one occupied
6. Give status and prestige.
TRUE – Israelis have more interest and satisfaction than Germans.
2) What are the implications for motivation of hofstede’s research findings on the dimensions of power distance, uncertainty avoidance, individualisam and masculinity?
- There are major implications in transcultural leaders.
Low masculinity — Social needs (??)
- Workers in more feminine cultures aremotivated by positive relations.
– Question (??)
Singapore – No
Japan – No
Mexico – No
Sweden – Yes
To motivate, we have to understand needs, goals, value systems and expectations.
3) Explain what is meant by the need to design culturally appropriate reward systems, give some examples。
- 5 Categories of rewards:
Japan: It is important the seniority and bonuses.
Taiwan: Recognition and ??
China: Low wages but having houses and free schools
Mexico: Peace work system and to leave early.
Remember to read the “Motivation in Mexico” part. There is going to be a question on that.
4) Develop a cultural profile of workers in Mexico and discuss how you would motivate them.
- High power distance
- Focus on Family
- People rather than work
- Fluid concept of time
- There are differences between North and South
Managers and no managers
- Hard working/career focus.
- Family – Loyalty ad commitment to family
- Teamwork is not as effective
5) Describe the varriables of content and context in the leadership situation. What additional variables are involved in the cross-cultural situation? What ate the major elements of a “global mindset:
Content – Attributes of a leader
Context – Situation
Content – Global mindset:
– General perspective
– Open minded
– Team Player
– Emotional resiliance
6) Explain the theory of contingency leadership and discuss the role of culture in that theory?
Contingency Theory. There is not one single leadership style.
EU. difficult to have a single leadership style.
Leadership is affected by culture
7) How can we use Hofsted’s 4 dimensions- power distance, uncertainty avoidance, individualism, and masculinity – to gain insight into leadership subordinate relationships around the world> give examples?
High uncertainty avoidance: Need for job scurity
Low uncertainty avoidance: More risk opportunities for variety and fast-track advancement
High Power distance:Relationship between subordinates and boss
Low Power distance: teamwork and relationship with peers
High individualism: Opportunities for individual advancement and autonomy
collectivism: appeal to group goals and support
High Masculinity: Traditional divisions of work and roles
Feminine culture: More flexible roles and work networks.
- high in power
- Low in power: Consultative participative style(???)
High uncertainty avoidance:
High masculinity prefer autocratic style (??)
8 ) Describe the autocratic vs democratic leadership dimension. Discuss the cultural contingency in this dimension and give some examples of research findings indicating differences among countries.
High power distance = Autocratic
2. Leadership across cultures
3. Global mindset
9) Discuss how you would develop a profile of an effective leader from the research results from the Globe project, give example.
- Skill administrator
- Effective bargainer
- Team Builder
- Rudeless (??)
10 ) Can there be an effective EU leader? Is this a realistic prospect? Discuss factors involve with this concept.
– YES. He/she has to be self-aware of his/her style. Aware of cultural distinctions.
– EU. It is doubtful at this time that there is someone ready to lead on 27 countries.
– Germans expect a different cultural leadership style than France.
– Some leaders have characteristics in trade (??)
– Self-awareness (helps you to adapt your behaviour)
– 15 different Cultures.
Leadership style in France:
OTHER QUESTIONS? Comments? Post them!!
There are two tables from chapter 11 that are in the 6th edition and not in the new one. Here they are in a pdf file. Let me know if it is clear.